Monday, August 19, 2013

Go - Build Your Life

It seems this is a theme.

I was struggling to think about my post this past week (thus my lateness...sorry guys!) and kept coming back to this one thing - doing.

Lately I've been reading/watching a lot of motivational/self-dev articles and videos that keep coming back to something I mentioned in an earlier blog post. Nobody cares about "who you are" so much as "what you've done."

The choices we make on a daily basis are indicators of the kind of person we are. I can say I'm a creative person until I'm blue in the face but it doesn't mean a thing unless I can provide examples for the world to see.

So, yes. I am a creative person...and everyone knows this because I studied art for 2 years (even got a scholarship) and have painted who knows how many paintings and done how many drawings. I've written countless poems and completed 5 novels (the fifth one is hopefully going to be published this week). I even designed the cover art for those books. I also co-wrote lyrics and music for 2 musical albums.  These are things I've done. They are absolute proof of my creativity.

When I introduce myself, I don't say "I'm creative," I say "I write" or "I paint" or whatever it is I'm focusing on because it's relevant to the conversation. And these things that I do on a regular basis have directed me to a particular path. It's not pushing me into a box where I'm skating through life. I'm actually actively participating in creating my life.

The more I read, the more I see, the more I'm convinced this is what we as people are meant to do. This doesn't mean we have to go out and be some kind of celebrity or wunderkind. What it does mean is we have to go out and do things. We need hobbies. We need goals. We need to be shooting for something, even if it's "small" by society's standards. It could be learning how to knit or speak a foreign language, or how to dance the rumba. Or we could have different plans - getting a promotion at work, getting a different job, starting a company of our own etc. There are plenty of things we can do. We just have to choose something.

Who do we want to be? Because we become what we do. Our actions show the kind of people we are and they build us up in very specific ways, forcing personal growth...building our lives.

Now we just have to decide.

How have you built your life? What are the things you've done to become who you are today? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment