Friday, June 7, 2013

The Shortcut to Awesome - Mini Goals

The easiest way to see that you're making progress to awesomeness is by completing something daily that brings you closer to how awesome you want to be.

You can have weekly goals (i.e. working out 3-5 times) or monthly goals (i.e. organizing one room in your house), but nothing compares to the immediate satisfaction of completing something daily.

The easiest way to set up mini goals is to take a larger goal and break it down into bite-sized pieces. For example, this summer I made the impressively awesome (otherwise known as crazy or balls to the wall) goal of publishing 7 new books. Yes, count them, S-E-V-E-N. If I looked at the over all goal, I might be overwhelmed and give up immediately.

Instead, I figured out exactly what I needed to do to make this happen. I realized how many unfinished manuscripts I had sitting on my hard-drive (quite a few) and how many words I'd need to get those to completion. I figured out how many days I had to complete my goal. Then I determined how many other things I'd need to do in order to publish my books (cover art, formatting, editing, marketing etc).

I started out with a daily writing goal of 4500 words. This helped me to finish 3 manuscripts in 2 weeks. I then broke down my other tasks into daily goals (time spent on marketing, formatting, etc). This has helped me complete 3 book covers in the past week.

I still have 2.5 months before my time is finished and already I've completed a good portion of my goal. By breaking this "huge" task into bite sized chunks, I've made it manageable and achievable. In short, I'm that much closer to being as impressively awesome as I want to be.

So how do you want to be more awesome? What can you do to get there? How can you break your goal into bite sized chunks to make it manageable and achievable? Leave a comment below or mention me on Twitter (@alexisdonkin). I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment